Your City's Patron

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Rosie, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Rosie

Rosie Community Member

It's interesting how in Italy, every city has a different patron, just like in other countries. Well, the really interesting part is actually the way they celebrate the religious patron of every city: gospel concerts, street market, the whole city comes to life in one day.

Who's the saint patron in your city? When do you celebrate his day?
  2. Luca

Luca Community Member

3. Truscano

Truscano Community Member

San Cataldo is the patron saint of Taranto. Cathaldus was an Irish monk from the fifth century who, while on his way to the Holy Land was asked to be Bishop of Taranto.

His feast is celebrated from May 8th to 10th.
  4. Luca

Luca Community Member

Wow 3 days of celebration, not just 1 :p ?
  5. Kim

Kim Community Member

In Roccamontepiano the patron saint is San Rocco and his feast day is August 16th. In 14th Century the Saint stayed in a cave in Roccamontepiano. It was in the cave that water miraculously flowed for him to drink and a dog brought him bread to eat. Now people go to bathe in the water to cure skin diseases.
    Chillout likes this.
  6. Gregor

Gregor Community Member

To my humble mind there is no such thing as a patron saint - it's the construct of a pagan mind. There is no Biblical foundation for this absurd practice, especially since the Biblical definition of a saint is simply a Christian person. No need for anyone to round beatifying. BTW I'm a Christian - a saint, just not a very good one.
  7. Rosie

Rosie Community Member

Hihih, good for you, Gregor!

Yes, the fact that ever city has a patron saint who is celebrated once a year is indeed strange, but it's one of Italy's fascinating traditions.

Oh, and I'm sure everyone knows that on all Christian calendars, every day is the day a certain saint is celebrated (today, the 26th of August, St. Alessandro m. is celebrated, whoever he is, something to do with Bergamo).
    Well, my grandma always has a Christian calendar on her wall and the saints celebrated in Italy are different from the saints celebrated in other countries.

Well, the important thing is that everyone has something to celebrate, right? :p
  8. Gregor

Gregor Community Member

Yes Rosie, I'll not deny anyone their fun!!! I'm just not joining in!
  9. Chillout

Chillout Community Member

I am not into religion and although this festive day is based on the saints, it normally means that schools and many non essential businesses are closed on this day in the specific town.

The actual celebrations that take place are fairs, concerts, and special markets and in reality, has very little to do with religion. I enjoy it because I get a day off work (paid) and most of the museums, galleries and other historical attractions in the town / city are free to enter.

It can be a great day to explore a town even if it's not the one that you live in.
  10. Alice

Alice Community Member

San Florido and Amanzio...Street markets for 3 days :)
  11. Matteo

Matteo Community Member

S. Remigio is the patron in Fosdinovo. We celebrate him the first October. ...Gregor, are you a Protestant Cristian? ...Italians are mostly Catholic and in Catholic Church the cult of saints is an important aspect of our faith. We consider saint who respects what God (in His three forms) said, helping the others and living with faith, hope and charity. And, above all, loving the next. We see the Saints as great people, who can indicate to us the Street which brings to Truth, to God. However, they remain examples and we are monotheist, because we believe in an only God. ...In my opinion this is only a different way to see the things, but it mustn't divide us, in fact we believe in the same God and so we are brothers and sons of God.